Thursday, March 17, 2011

It's 5am and there's an army outside my window

I live in a relatively quiet area in Manhattan. Only occasionally have I been woken up by loud passersby or screaming drunks, but last night boy oh boy. I was woken up to the sound of screaming and yelling. It first sounded like there was a frat party out there or a slew of drunk kids that decided to camp out on the street 'cause they were just too tired to trek three blocks to the nearest subway. But then as I listened closer I realized that they were all shouting the same thing: "Ten HUT! Ab-OW-T FACE!" I immediately got up and this is what I saw:


Now that might be a frightening sight for most and it's certainly not a sight I've seen before, but I DO live across the street from the Armory, so it made sense, but it was still fucking annoying nonetheless. I thought, "Are these guys heading out to war tonight?!" I mean, what was happening? Then they started to march. They would yell in unison every five minutes and then loudly march in place with their combats boots shaking the ground beneath them. Then in between all of that they would takes breaks and chat. When you have 200 men chatting outside your window at 5am, it can get loud. This went on for two solid hours. At around 6:55pm, they marched away. It wasn't until this morning that I figured out what that was all about. The St. Patrick's Day parade is today, so when I woke at 10am and heard more marching this time accompanied by bagpipes, I realized that last night the army was simply getting their choreographies together for the big pararde.

Really?!

Needless to say, I don't feel very well rested today. I'm just putting that out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment