Tuesday, March 22, 2011

My name is Jona and I'm a vegetarian

About five months ago, I was told by my doctor that I should start eating meat because according to the tests, I'm anemic and hypoglycemic. So I tried it. What the hell, I'll try it. I ate flesh (beef, lamb, chicken, fish, etc.) everyday for a number of months. Felt weird. Really weird. What I noticed during this meat-eating time was I didn't have as much energy as usual, my breath started to smell (EW!), and couldn't figure out why I felt so irritable all the time. Well, about two weeks ago I said, "Fuck it!" and returned to my veggie diet and I gotta tell ya, I feel like a huge dingy film and a weight has been lifted. I feel so much more calm and happy. My skin looks better, I have more energy, the whites of my eyes look whiter, I don't stink (!) and I poop better (sorry!). But the most drastic thing I notice is the change in my mood. I feel balanced. I know with all my being that what you eat affects your mood and health and it really *really* affects mine.  It never felt right eating animals, but I did it because... well, I wanted to see how I would feel. I went through it as an experiment to see what all the fuss was about. Now I know it's not ME. It felt so strange to be cooking up chicken's thighs in my pan or making chili with real dead cow. I always used to cringe when I saw a commercial for KFC or Burger KIng, so to all of sudden pretend that I didn't think it was disgusting to eat that stuff was going against my natural Jona instincts.

So I'm a vegetarian once again. I'm not going back to being vegan, though. Hell no. That was way too limiting (for me) and that's why I became deficient.  I'm now eating organic eggs and some dairy on a daily basis (in addition to other stuff) and just fully enjoying my food/life again. But I can't eat animals anymore. No sir. No way. It's just not for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment