Thursday, March 24, 2011

Window cleaners are nuts

My windows weigh like 100 pounds. They're huge. And they're dirty. I don't like dirty. And I don't like heavy either. It's been really frustrating looking at those disgusting things for the past year and then trying to clean them on my own and almost killing myself. You try holding a 100 pound window with one hand (okay, maybe 50 pounds) and Windexing with the other. Not easy. Don't kid yourself, kid. Listen, don't misunderstand, when it comes to physical activity, I'm gung-ho. I'm someone that's used to just doing things herself. But I tried doing this myself and well...I didn't wanna crack a rib trying to clean a stupid window. That's not noble, it's just...stupid.  So I took the plunge and called a professional window cleaning company and wouldn't you know it, I found out it'd only cost $50 to clean both windows. I could deal with that.  I called and two days later, the window cleaners were in my place.

The cleaning men arrived in the afternoon. They were wonderfully courteous. After they changed into their schmutzy cleaning gear, I asked how they were gonna do it. "How ya gonna do it?" and they said instead of opening the windows from the front on the inside, it would be easier if they just stood out on the ledge and cleaned them from outside. Yes, the outside.

I jumped to my feet and yelled, "What?! Really?! Umm...holy shit. I'm scared (for you guys)."

They just shrugged and said, "No big deal."

I just stared into space like a deer caught in headlights for a good few minutes waiting for my brain to make sense of their words.

Here they are getting the rags ready for the moment of truth:


Yeah,  I only live on the 2nd floor, but it's a HIGH 2nd. Trust me. It's more like a 3rd floor really. One could get seriously maimed falling from that height. A tiny horse thrown from that height would die. So would a petite dog, small child,...iPod, and I predict even a wiry Russian window cleaner, too. Ohgod.

It didn't matter. My frantic concern didn't prevent the little one from climbing out on the ledge with ease:


The other guy (on the left) stood on the radiator and cleaned the inside of the windows. Big whoop. I coulda done that. But the OTHER guy? Uh, no.

Here's a closer look:


I was afraid to get too close, I didn't wanna startle the little one. So I kept my distance.

And here's the finished product:


(The lighting in this photo makes it look like the window on the left is cleaner than the right, but they're actually both spotless.)

Ta-dah! My plants look so pleased. : )

Maybe next time I can get a couple of hot male gymnasts to clean the windows for me. Craigslist!

: D

5 comments:

  1. Your apartment is so pretty! And it's in Manhattan! Your window cleaners are not bad looking, either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Barry! Yeah, that little one was pretty darned cute. : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. your apartment is amazing!!! beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Stef! Come visit me sometime! Miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. When windows are involved, you kind of get used to the height and sights, like the window washers of those big buildings. A lot of people can get scared cleaning those windows from the outside, but it's not so bad when you get used to it... plus you do get a great view from up top.

    In any case, congrats on getting clean windows. It's always nice to have that sunlight shine brighter inside.

    ReplyDelete