Thursday, February 10, 2011

Florida: My 92-year-old grandmother buys herself an iPad!


I can't believe it. I mean, I *really* can't believe it. My grandmother is now a part of the WiFi/internet/emailing world. She's connected, Yo!  I've been trying to get my grandmother to buy a computer for the longest time, but she always said, "It's not for me." But all of a sudden, when I mentioned the computer this time, she was intrigued. I explained all the benefits of having a computer, so she agreed to go to the Apple store and check it out.  I figured since she learned how to use a cellphone (pretty easily) that a computer wouldn't be that much more difficult for her. She's a smart cookie, so I knew if she kept an open mind, she'd be emailing and googling in no time. The guys at the Apple store could not get over how quickly she picked everything up. I mean, it was pretty remarkable. She learned how to email in less than 30 minutes!

My camera was about to die,  but I got a very quick (five second) video of grams composing her first email.

Check it out:

6 comments:

  1. I love it. Technology is for everyone. I look forward to her tweets.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Daniel! Thanks for reading the blog. Twitter might have to wait. I gotta get her on Facebook first!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that's awesome... maybe she will start doing her work on it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not sure if she'll ever do her work on it...just because she enjoys pens and paper so much, but hopefully she'll feel comfy researching and whatnot. I still can't get over how quickly she's picking everything up. I hope she's able to keep it up once I leave...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your grandma is the cutest! I was actually just talking to a woman last night who said she got one for her elderly mother. She said it's a lot easier for her to use with her arthritis and other joint problems, because it's sliding instead of clicking and typing. I'm sure she'll use it for all sorts of things!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kiley! She is adorable. Yeah, the iPad is great for people that don't have previous experience with computers. It's pretty simple to use. I've taught her how to email, now I just gotta get her googling...

    ReplyDelete