Saturday, January 22, 2011

Day twelve: In Cambridge with Sam and Sara

I post all my blog entries on Facebook, so all my friends on there pretty much know everything that I've been up to the past couple of weeks. About a week ago, after reading one of the London entries, my friend Sam contacted me and asked if I'd like to visit him and his wife, Sara, in Cambridge and stay the night. Of course I said, "Hell yeah!" I had *completely* forgotten that they lived here! (Sam moved to England for work about a year ago. He's a climate research scientist.) So I was thrilled to be able to spend time with them and see their place.

I left Shane's house around 10am and made my way over to the tube and took it to the train (overground train, different from the tube). I then bought a round-trip ticket to Cambridge which cost me 30 pounds ($47).

Here's a shot of the busy King's Cross train station. Everyone's waiting around for the platform number to post...


I don't know where the hell everyone was going, but the station was packed. Jesus.

I had to make it over to Platform 9A. I found the train and got on. I was pleased to see cushioned seats and little table thingies!


The train took off just a few minutes later...


I made it to Cambridge in less than an hour. When I got off the train i took a cab to Sam and Sara's place. I was in their 'hood in less than five minutes...

And now....Sam and Sara!


After I dropped my bags off at their place (which I'll show you later), they took me on a long walk/tour of the Cambridge area/campus. It's gorgeous. I actually thought this area was prettier and more accessible than Oxford, but...I'm still glad I went to Oxford.

We walked through town...





And ended up at the Cambridge campus...







Sam and Sara are both (mostly) vegetarian, so they know all the cool underground veg spots all over town. This one is called the Rainbow Room...


And inside...


It wasn't smokey in there, it's just my camera lens got all fogged up and I didn't have a soft cloth to wipe it off, so I just let it be.

Here's pics of our food...



And my side salad...


I didn't get a pic of my actual entree, 'cause well...as soon as it arrived, I inhaled it in less than five minutes. I didn't have time to take a photo! I was hungry.

Here's Sara and I in post meal digestion stage...


As we were leaving I got a quick shot of Sam...


We walked back to the campus and they both continued showing me around. 
Here's a church we popped into...


I forgot to mention that Sara's a chef at the school. Here's the dining area...


Look at this cute little door! God help you if you're a large person. I mean, seriously, how the hell are the fat people getting out of this building?!


We then went back to their place to chill for a bit...

Oh and here's their house. (Take note: they're renting this place already furnished, 'cause they're only gonna be in London until April (or so), so...a lot of what you'll see is not really their taste.)

Anyway, here's the kitchen...


Here's the entrance...


There was a small dining area just outside of the kitchen, but it was too dark to capture it.

Here's the stairs going up to the living room and two bedrooms...


Here's their bedroom...


And here's the guest bedroom where I slept...


And here's the living area...


We did our own thing for a couple of hours and then headed out to get some Indian food.

We took a cab to the restaurant...


We ate a ton of curry and then went back to their place and played a game called "Banana." It's similar to Scrabble, but...different. (Look it up!) We played and watched TV at the same time.

By midnight, we were asleep.

I got up at 9am and made my way back to London by 11am.

It was really nice spending some time with them. Sam and Sara are great people. : )

Stay tuned for my next adventure...

No comments:

Post a Comment